There is a lot to be said about the many latest “trends” in fashion. Shabby Chic, Rustic, Restoration, Vintage Chic, etc. but which ones are really here to stay and which will be gone before the end of the year? Being on the inside of the design world I have seen many come and go. However, I have also seen many make a lasting impression that will go beyond just a trend in the home fashions world.
Vintage designs have made a huge leap in every aspect of the design world. It’s apparent in rugs, to exposed brick, to furniture that this is seeping into every aspect of interiors. But how do we know what will last? My biggest tool is if something feels trendy- it probably isn’t going to stand the test of time. Also, if something has been hot for years- it will likely last for years to come. Next time you go to buy a large piece for your home think of these few tips before you purchase:
- Is this something that has just recently come on the scene and skyrocketed into popularity?
- Let something breathe in the marketplace for a few months and see how long it lasts.
- Most of these fast trends go in and out in a matter of a few months, so if it starts fading out- you might want to go in a different direction.
- How much of an investment will this have to be?
- If you are looking at a rug that costs over $1,000 that better be something you are planning on keeping for longer than a year.
- Divide the price of your purchase by the amount of time you see yourself keeping it- that’s your investment- make it worth it.
- Buy what you love.
- If you aren’t feeling absolutely head over heels for your purchase and you’re second guessing any of it- rethink it before you buy! Impulse buying NEVER works out in my opinion.
- You can always go back and get it if you really can’t live without it- don’t just buy something because Joanna Gaines says it’s the way to go.